What is Xfce?
Xfce is a desktop environment for UNIX-based operating systems. The project has been founded to offer a fast and lightweight, good looking and easy to use Desktop Environment.
Xfce is based on different components that together provide a complete desktop environment. The modular design allows you to choose from the available packages and to build up your personal working environment.
With Version 4 of Xfce a complete rewrite has been started. It is now based on the GTK+ toolkit version 2 and follows the freedesktop guidelines. All of Xfce 4's core components have been written to fit into the new architecture.
Xfce 4 is all free software. Each component is released under one of the following licenses: the BSD license, the GNU LGPL or the GNU GPL.
Xfce 4 features
- Freedesktop standards compliance
- Development framework to help you building your own applications
- TrueType fonts with anti-aliasing
- Component based installation
- File manager with support for samba browsing and mount/umount filesystems
- A Sizable Panel which can be placed vertical or horizontal and includes auto-hide feature and detachable menus to launch applications
- Window Manager with more than 60 window decorations, window shading and desktop switching
- Desktopmenu, and a desktop margins setup utility
- Graphical settings manager
- Graphical printing frontend
- Graphical pager
- GTK2 theme engine
- A taskbar
- Xinerama support
- More than 18 languages translations...